excel import

Forum for DBF Commander discussing.

excel import

Postby thalsted » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:57 pm

Hi all new to the board, I've been reading the help files, and the board but still don't understand the import.

I run a diesel shop and the software we use as a POS is based on visual basic and FoxPro database files using the .dbf file format. I was not around for those databases only sql etc. I found your software and I am hoping I can use it. My vendors send me new price files with part numbers, cost, description and various other information I need to input. Some of these files and have 200,000 rows some 50,000. The software provider I have tells me i'm limited to 16,000 lines. So I want to step outside the program and import directly into the .dbf file. I saw another post reference to the field style and label. I'm not sure how to format my excel file and also the file format (win95,ver5.0,etc) to match what I need in order to use the import feature of Commander.
thalsted

Re: excel import

Postby Admin » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:16 pm

Hi there!
If you've MS Excel version up to 2003 installed, you can export the data from a sheet to a DBF file, then import it to your software's DBF file using Import DBF to Database feature.
As another option (or the only way if your version of MS Excel is 2007+) is that you can export data from MS Excel's sheet to a CSV file, then import it into your software's DBF file using the Import Wizard.
Best regards,
Oleg Zhechkov
Admin
Site Admin

Postby thalsted » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:21 am

Hmm, I've tried the latter of those two options with no luck. It has been a bit since I tried i'll go back through again and report more details. I can create dbf's from the files they send so i'll look at the first option as well.. thanks.
thalsted

Postby thalsted » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:45 am

Does the excel file rows have to match the dbf file? I'm only importing portions of files into the dbf no all the dbf records will be updated from the csv.
On the first recommendation it seems I need to host a db in order to use that function? I'm not a database programmer i'm a diesel parts tech :) Maybe point me to a site or something to read up on how to set that up?
thalsted

Postby Admin » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:44 pm

with no luck

Why? Were there any error messages?

Does the excel file rows have to match the dbf file?

Every row from the DBF file you're importing will be added to the destination DBF file. If you won't need some rows - just delete them before saving XLS to DBF.
Regarding to columns - only columns with equal names will be added. E.g., if the source DBF contains 'field1' column, the destination DBF must contain such field too. Please refer to the link I gave you above. The process explained in details at this topic.

I need to host a db in order to use that function?

No. All you need are as follows:
1. Prepare your source DBF file: make export from XLS to DBF, and ensure that this DBF contains only rows you need to import, check column count and their names, etc.
2. Open your software's DBF file you want to insert data to (don't forget to make a backup!) with DBF Commander Pro. It will be your destination DBF file.
3. Click 'File -> Import from DBMS'. At the window appears, use the following connection string:
Code: Select all
Provider=VFPOLEDB.1;Data Source=D:\somepath\yourfolder;Password="";Collating Sequence=MACHINE

4. Choose your source table to be imported at the drop-down list, then click OK. After that, all the data from your source file will be inserted into your destination DBF file.
Best regards,
Oleg Zhechkov
Admin
Site Admin

Postby thalsted » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:07 pm

Thanks for reply, attempted the dbms method as I think that will be a better method for my purposes though I am getting an error message. Does this compare fields as it imports or just import? I already have some of these rows in the file and want to update the current rows and add new rows contained within.
Attachments
dbferror2.jpg
DBF ERROR
dbferror2.jpg (248.45 KiB) Viewed 35653 times
thalsted

Postby Admin » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:35 pm

The E_FAIL error message means that you try to import incorrect data. Most likely, it can be too big number of a numeric or float field. Please check the source DBF file's data you're trying to import from.

Does this compare fields as it imports or just import?

DBF Commander creates list of fields of source DBF file, then compares this list with the target DBF file. After that, the app appends all rows from source file into target file (respecting field names). It doesn't update any "existing" rows, since there are no criteria on what rows to update.
Best regards,
Oleg Zhechkov
Admin
Site Admin

Return to DBF Commander Professional