import ASCII control characters

Forum for DBF Commander discussing.

import ASCII control characters

Postby brendonosullivan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:36 pm

I am using DBF Commander on the command line to import an XML file to DBF, command flag "-i". The XML file contains some non-printable ASCII characters, specifically symbol "018" = Device Control 2 which unfortunately causes an error message:
Error: Wrong file format!
Error: An invalid character was found in text content.

The field where the data is to be written is in MEMO format so there should be no problem to record this data.

We also receive DBF files that already have these characters and DBF is able to convert them to XML using the "-e" flag without any problems. The XML files produced by DBF Commander correctly contain the 018 ASCII characters.

Can you please modify DBF Commander to allow any ASCII characters to be imported into MEMO fields?

I tried to upload an example file as an attachment but the forum thinks all files are "possible attack vectors". Please allow at least "*.TXT" as a file type for extensions.

Regards, Brendon O'Sullivan
brendonosullivan

Re: import ASCII control characters

Postby Admin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:50 pm

Brendon, hi again!

Can you please modify DBF Commander to allow any ASCII characters to be imported into MEMO fields?

Yes, we will add this feature most likely. Please attach some sample XML file to be imported into a DBF file. We need it in order to test the import.

I tried to upload an example file as an attachment

Attachments allowed. Try to ZIP your file and attach the archived file.
Best regards,
Oleg Zhechkov
Admin
Site Admin

Postby brendonosullivan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:04 pm

OK attaching a ZIP file works this time, :D

It contains two files. One that causes the crash and second which is imported without errors. The only difference is that the DC2 characters are replaced with pipes, "|".

I really hope you can enable the import with DC2 characters. That's essential for our application.

Regards,
Brendon.
Attachments
Import_ASCII_DC2.zip
(2.39 KiB) Downloaded 2707 times
brendonosullivan

Postby Admin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:17 pm

Brendon, thank you for the sample files.

We're now working on this issue, though such '↕' symbol is not correct and XML document is not valid (see XML specifications). I think the new version will be ready to out at the next week.
Best regards,
Oleg Zhechkov
Admin
Site Admin

Postby brendonosullivan » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:17 pm

You are right, the DC2 symbol is not valid XML and our xslt processors complains about this so that we have to insert the symbol right at the end of our workflow before sending the data to DBF Commander. It definitely has to be in the DBF files so I'll be very grateful if you can support this request.

I'm looking forward to your next version!
brendonosullivan

Return to DBF Commander Professional