Error opening DBFs with Memo files

Forum for DBF Commander discussing.

Error opening DBFs with Memo files

Postby Keymen » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:50 pm

This great program has all the features I have been looking for for quite a long time :) . But: Any attempt to open DBFs with Memo fields/files leads to an errror message 'File must be openend exclusively to convert the Memo file', in the Professional Version followed by an 'access violation at address ... in module DBFCommander.exe ...'. :? My DBFs have been generated by Lotus Approach.
Keymen

Re: Error opening DBFs with Memo files

Postby Support » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:39 pm

Hi Keymen!
Thanks for your question, but it's hard to help you without the corresponding DBF and FPT files looking.
This Memo file may contains some additional bytes, or be linked with some Database (.DBC), or smth like this.
Anyway, I need to look at it's internal structure, so please attach the files (both DBF and FPT) ;)
Feel free to ask a question - I'll try to help in anyway!
Support

Postby Keymen » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:49 am

I have attached a ZIP-File with a simple DBF generated by Lotus Approach (1 memo-field, 1 record) together with the corresponding DBT. Thanks a lot for having a look.
Attachments
MemoTest.zip
(345 Bytes) Downloaded 3269 times
Keymen

Postby Support » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:40 pm

I have looked at the file.
It's DBF type is dBase IV (thats why the Memo file is *.DBT, not *.FPT). DBF Commander supports dBase IV format, but the problem is the Visual FoxPro driver not accepts dBase IV's Memo - it supports Visual FoxPro and dBase III plus Memos only. On opening the file, the driver tries to convert this DBF and Memo to acceptable format (VFP 2.x or earlier), but cannot do this. So, the error "exclusive access' occurs.

We'll think over this situation, and will try to find the way out. Maybe do something like convert dBase IV to dBase III plus (or better VFP) while opening in order you could work with the files in DBF Commander.
And for now, you can try to do the following:
1. Unload the data from Lotus Approach to another DBF format: Visual FoxPro or dBase III plus (if possible).
2. Do not use Memo-type fields: split long-text information to several Char(254) fields, or store it in other table, or smth like this.
Support

Re: Error opening DBFs with Memo fields

Postby Keymen » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:43 pm

I have tried Nr. 1. DBFs with Memo fields generated by Lotus Approach exporting data to dBase III+ or Foxpro can be opened with DBF Commander without any problems.:) But: My DBFs use Codepage 1252 (Windows ANSI) and in order to use them with MS Access I have to convert them to Codepage 850 (International MS-DOS). Unfortunately the 'Convert to'-Function does not work with Memo fields, it generates only a DBF and the DBT/FPT is missing. :(
Keymen

Postby Support » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:27 pm

Hmm... Strange... On my side it works fine.
I have a DBF file with Memo - type: Visual FoxPro, codepage: 1252 Windows ANSI. Do the following: File -> Convert To -> MS-DOS -> 850 International MS-DOS. Both files' data (DBF and Memo) were converted correctly. (look at Modified datetime of the FPT file Properties - it changes along with DBF file conversion).

Analogous conversion from 850 International MS-DOS to 1252 Windows ANSI works correctly also.
Support

Postby Support » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:33 pm

Ahh, sorry :D
If you use freeware version of DBF Commander (up to 1.1.25) - yes, it converts DBF file only, not FPT or DBT. Try the latest DBF Commander Professional edition (2.1.32), because the Convert To issue was reworked completely in version 2.0.30.
Support

Return to DBF Commander Professional